Skip to content


August 8, 2009


The baseboards have been constructed using plywood beams made from 6mm ply and softwood strips made into a frame into which is slotted 25mm thick extruded polystyrene sheet. These are very light but very rigid and do not need any cross bracing, They are glued in place using NoNails glue. The back of the baseboard is raised to allow for a back scene and also to allow hinging of the end boards. At the front there is a hinged board which is bolted to the main frame to make up a box for transporting, See the photographs below.


The legs are a separate unit which fold out to form a sub-frame on which the boards sit.

The track plan was printed out on normal paper and the sheets stuck together to form the whole layout. This was then used as a template to mark out cork to be stuck to the surface of the boards. I have used cork tiles which are just over 1/8″ thick. I intended to stick these with PVA glue as evostick would ‘melt’ the polystyrene. However the polystyrene board has a very smooth surface as well as the cork so it would not stick. In the end I used double-sided carpet tape but even this in places failed to adhere properly. I have since discovered that if the surface of the polystyrene is roughened first then the cork will adhere well with PVA. After the cork was stuck I used a router to cut the bed for the canal and also a recess to take the sector plate.



From → Yeoton Wharf

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: